Windows Exponam.Connect Pro Product Installation
From a Windows machine, click to download the installer. Double click the file (setup.exe) to run the installer.
Machine and/or 3rd party virus protection may require permission to allow an installation. If so, allow the changes.
Note that a Certificate has been issued for the Exponam.Connect for Excel Add-in by DigiCert. The certificate can be viewed by clicking the Publisher hyperlink in the install
Click the Install button to install the Add-in.
Once complete, an Application Customization successfully installed message will appear.
Windows First Time Use
Launch Microsoft Excel. You will notice that a new Option has been added to the Menu Bar, “Exponam.”
Click the Exponam Menu item to view the Exponam Ribbon bar.
Click the “Read from Delta Sharing” icon.
A new window will appear.
Click on the Delta Sharing Icon to add a Delta Sharing Server. A prompt will appear to select a .share Delta Sharing file or to enter the URI of the Delta Sharing Server along with respective credentials. Additional methods for adding Delta Shares will be added in upcoming versions.
Repeat the action to add additional Delta Sharing Servers.
The Read from Delta Sharing window will now be populated with all the tables for which the user is permissioned within each share. Clicking on a table will populate a preview of the table’s contents in the grid.
Windows Product Features
The Read from Delta Sharing window is divided into three primary sections:
- Share View: The left side of the window displays a view of all Delta Servers with their tables, arranged by share and schema.
- Table View: The right side of the window displays a column grid containing the data within the selected table or favorite filter.
- Controls: The bottom of the window contains all basic control options for Import to Excel and Save to File actions.
Primary use cases will entail a user selecting a table, creating, and optionally saving a filter set for that table, and importing the results into Excel or saving the results to a file.
To filter a table’s data, click the filter symbol in the column(s) to apply a filter.
The filter options available are based upon the type of data contained within the column (date, number, string, etc.). On date fields, a set of relative date ranges may be selected (e.g. Today, Yesterday, This Week) or a custom date range can be entered.
After entering a column filter, the filter symbol for that column will turn black.
Data in the preview grid is refreshable at any time by clicking the refresh icon (top right of data grid). Note that the preview data will not automatically refresh each time a filter is applied. Further note that the preview view may show a reduced (or even empty) set of data. Users will be provided with tips informing of this in future releases. This system behavior is improved with Delta Sharing Servers configured to utilize Predicate Hints.
Clicking the Eraser symbol in the Table View header will remove all filters.
Checking/unchecking the box in the column header will determine whether that column’s data is imported to Excel or written to the file.
Users may check/uncheck all columns by using the (+) and (-) buttons in the Table View header.
Once all desired filters and column selection is complete, users may choose to save the filters as a “favorite” by clicking the Star icon at the top right of the Table View.
Once saved, the favorite will appear in the Share View under the table name.
Clicking the star icon above the Share View will toggle the view to show all tables and favorites, or only favorites.
Importing to Excel
Several options are available which control the behavior of Excel Imports. These options are in the Controls section and include:
- Location of where to import data
- A new worksheet
- The current worksheet (with option to select the import table’s location. By default, the location is set at cell A1, or whichever cell was selected in the sheet
- Include/exclude Column Headers
- Enable column autofilters – if selected, Excel’s table autofilters will be enabled for the data
- Include Properties and Property Detail Level – if selected an additional worksheet will be written which includes metadata specific to the Delta Server, the filtered query, the date/time of data extraction, and the users license details
Selecting the Preferences button from the Ribbon Bar will provide users with basic and advanced options governing the behavior of the application.
- Excel: Maximum rows per sheet
- Excel: Maximum sheets
- General: Reset User Hint Messages